These Cheesy Shredded Chicken Enchiladas are easy to make and extra cheesy and delicious thanks to a special ingredient: homemade nacho cheese sauce!
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- batch of homemade nacho cheese sauce (see ingredients below)
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings: Serve with your favorite toppings (salsa, pico de gallo, diced avocado, guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce, chopped cilantro, green onions, etc.)
Nacho Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
- Salt + cayenne pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Make the nacho cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute to create a roux.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and simmer until slightly thickened. Once thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, whisk in the spices and turn off the heat.
- Whisk in the shredded cheese (one handful at a time) until melted into the sauce. Note: If the sauce becomes too thick, just whisk in a bit more milk.
- Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Prepare the filling. Mix together shredded chicken, salsa, corn and half the nacho cheese sauce in a bowl.
- Assemble the enchiladas. Assemble the enchiladas by dividing the filling mixture between the tortillas. Place mixture in a line along the lower third or down the center of the tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and place seam side down in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spread the remaining nacho cheese sauce over the top and scatter over the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly, golden and edges of tortillas are slightly crispy.
- Serve and enjoy. Serve with your favourite toppings. Dig in and enjoy!
- Prep shredded chicken in advance: Either cook and shred your own or simply shred up a store bought rotisserie chicken. Store in a container in the fridge so that it is ready to use.
- Tips for a smooth nacho cheese sauce: 1) Grate your own cheese. 2) Don’t use aged cheddar – use a medium or mild version. 3) Turn off the heat before adding cheese.
- Substitute spices in nacho cheese sauce. You can adjust the spices to suit your own tastes or based on what you have on hand. One idea is to substitute the spices listed with 2 tsp chili powder seasoning blend.
Keywords: easy chicken enchiladas, cheesy chicken enchiladas, shredded chicken enchiladas