Chicken Fajita Tacos! Perfectly seared seasoned chicken, tender crisp fajita veggies and your favorite toppings all tucked into a soft tortilla or crunchy taco shell. This 30 minute meal is an easy dinner idea that everyone will love!
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (I like to use sea salt or Himalayan salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
For The Taco Filling:
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (approx. 3–4 chicken breasts, depends on size)
- 3 bell peppers, cut into strips (I like to use a variety of colors)
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (any color)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lime
- soft tortillas or crunchy taco shells, warmed up
- toppings of your choice (e.g. salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, lime wedges, etc.)
- Mix together fajita seasoning: In a small bowl, stir together the fajita seasoning ingredients. Set aside 1 teaspoon of the mixture to season the veggies (the rest will be used for the chicken).
- Season the chicken: Sprinkle the fajita seasoning on both sides of the chicken breasts (except for the teaspoon that was set aside). Use your hands to rub it all over the chicken and press it in.
- Cook the chicken: Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken breasts for about 5-7 minutes per side or until cooked through (internal temperature of 165F). Remove from the pan and set aside to rest.
- Sauté the fajita veggies: To the same skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the sliced bell peppers and onion. Sauté while stirring frequently until veggies are tender crisp and slightly charred in spots. This will take about 5 minutes (or longer if you prefer softer veggies). When the veggies are almost done cooking, stir through the teaspoon of fajita seasoning that was set aside, dried oregano and salt and pepper to taste (if needed).
- Cut up chicken: Slice, dice or chop up the cooked chicken breasts into small pieces and squeeze fresh lime juice over the top.
- Assemble the tacos: Serve in warmed soft tortillas or crunchy taco shells. Assemble the tacos by first adding some chicken, followed by some fajita veggies and then your favorite toppings. Serve and enjoy!
- Use a thermometer! Using an instant read cooking thermometer is the best way to achieve perfectly cooked chicken breasts. It takes the guess work out! The Thermapen is my favorite and gets used in my kitchen constantly.
- Prep Ahead Tip: Speed things up at dinner time by pre-slicing the veggies and mixing together the fajita seasoning in advance.
- Storing Leftovers: Store leftover chicken and fajita veggies in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Chili Powder Note: The chili powder in the fajita seasoning refers to the American style chili powder which is a blend. It is NOT simply ground up chili peppers. Your mouth will be on fire if you mix them up! Just a friendly reminder (especially for international friends).
Keywords: fajita tacos, chicken fajita tacos