This delicious Cranberry Orange Sauce recipe is a classic that is perfect for Thanksgiving and the holiday season. It is super easy to make with a few simple ingredients and can be made ahead of time!
- 1 bag (340g/12oz) fresh cranberries
- Juice and zest of 1 orange (about 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place all ingredients in a medium-sized pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally for about 15-20 minutes or until cranberries have burst and sauce has thickened (will continue to thicken as it cools).
- Let cool, remove cinnamon stick and refrigerate until serving time. Can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled.
- Make It Ahead: Can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks and frozen for 2-3 months.
- Orange Zesting Tip: It is much easier to zest the orange before you juice it. Make sure to only grate off the orange part of the peel and not the white part (white part is bitter). I like to use a fine microplane grater for zesting.
- Serving Ideas: See post for a list of ideas on what to pair cranberry sauce with.
- Possible Variations: See post for ideas on how to customize this sauce.
Keywords: cranberry orange sauce, homemade cranberry sauce