From scrambled to poached, there are so many different ways to cook eggs! Learn 5 basic methods below.
- Bring a pot of water to a bare simmer. Crack the egg into a small fine mesh strainer over a bowl to strain out any super watery bits of egg white. Gently slide the egg into the water. Cook for 3-4 minutes, scoop out with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
Soft Boiled Eggs
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil. Gently lower in eggs and set a timer for 6-7 minutes. Remove eggs and run under cold water for a few seconds until cool enough to handle and to stop the cooking process. Serve while still warm.
Hard Boiled Eggs
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil. Gently lower in eggs and set a timer for 12 minutes. Remove eggs to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process and to cool completely before peeling.
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl (usually 2 eggs per person). Melt a bit of butter in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Pour in the eggs. As they begin to set, use a silicone spatula to gently push and fold the eggs to create soft curds.
- Sunny Side Up: Heat some butter or oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Crack the egg and carefully place it in the pan. Let the egg cook until the whites are firm but the yolk is still runny (about 3-4 minutes).
- Over Easy / Over Medium / Over Well: Flip the sunny side up egg over and cook for an additional 10-30 seconds on the other side for over easy (yolk still runny), 30-60 seconds for over medium (yolk just slightly runny), or 1-2 minutes for over well eggs (yolk is hard).
- Find some great ideas on ways to serve each type of egg in the post above! You can also find links to detailed step-by-step tutorials for each method.
Keywords: different ways to cook eggs, how to cook eggs