This creamy German Cucumber Salad (aka Gurkensalat) is a refreshing and easy side dish featuring thinly sliced cucumbers in the most delicious sour cream dressing. A German staple and family favorite – SO GOOD!
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1/2 cup sour cream (full fat variety)
- 1/2 small onion, finely grated (I like to use sweet or white onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (you can also use white wine vinegar, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste (I use Himalayan or sea salt)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1/2 – 1 teaspoon sugar
- Peel + Slice Cucumbers: Peel the cucumbers and slice them super thin. Place into a mixing bowl.
- Make Dressing: In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. The dressing will be quite thick but this is intentional.
- Mix Together: Pour the dressing over the cucumber slices and toss to combine. The salad will look a little strange at this point since the dressing is initially quite thick. It will thin out once it chills in the fridge and the cucumbers release some of their liquid. The cucumber juices will combine with the sour cream mixture to form a delicious dressing that is the perfect consistency.
- Chill + Serve: Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour for the flavors to develop and the dressing to form. Give it a stir and adjust the seasonings if needed. Serve and enjoy!
- Thinly slice the cucumbers: The thinner the better! You can use a mandoline, slicing side of a box grater, food processor with a thin slice attachment or a sharp knife if you have amazing knife skills. Safety Tip: If using a mandoline, I also recommend some cut resistant gloves!
- Make Ahead + Storage: This salad is best served the same day since the cucumbers continue to soften and release liquid the longer they sit in the fridge. My preference is to serve it after a 30 minute to 1 hour chill time. To prep ahead, you can make the dressing and store it separately from the thinly sliced cucumbers in the fridge. Then just combine it 30-60 minutes before serving so it has some time to chill first.
- Storage: Leftovers can be stored for 1 day in an airtight container in the fridge. Give it a stir before eating. It will still be safe to eat if stored for a few days but the texture is best if consumed within a day.
Keywords: gurkensalat, german cucumber salad, cucumber salad with sour cream