Zucchini Slice! This savoury Aussie dish is easy to make, absolutely delicious and super versatile too. Perfect for a quick on-the-go breakfast, popped into a lunchbox or served alongside a salad for a simple dinner.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or olive oil or melted butter/ghee)
- 375 grams (13 oz) zucchini, grated (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven and prepare pan: Preheat oven to 350F / 180C and line an 8″ x 12″ inch (20cm x 30cm) cake pan with parchment paper.
- Sauté bacon and onion: In a large frying pan, sauté the chopped bacon over medium heat until the fat renders out and it starts to brown. Add the chopped onion and continue cooking until onions are soft and bacon is crisp. Set aside to cool down.
- Mix batter: Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add in the flour, baking powder and avocado oil and whisk together until smooth. Then gently stir through the grated zucchini, shredded cheese, sautéed bacon/onion mixture, salt and pepper until combined.
- Bake: Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned on top. Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into squares. Enjoy hot or cold!
- Storage: Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- What kind of pan to use? I use this 8×12 inch (20×30 cm) cake pan. If you are in Australia, a Lamington pan is perfect. Don’t worry if your pan or baking dish isn’t exactly this size. I have also used a 9×13 inch pan before too. Just note that cooking time and thickness will vary depending on the pan size
- Flour: A variety of different types of flour can be used in this forgiving recipe. I have also tried spelt and whole wheat flour. They all work but whole grain will be a bit more dense.
- Squeeze out zucchini! To avoid a soggy zucchini slice, make sure to squeeze out excess water from the grated zucchini before adding to the batter.
- Variations: This recipe is not fussy and easy to customize. Check out the “Variations” section for some ideas.
Keywords: zucchini slice, zucchini recipe