Are you a wing lover? Then you will LOVE these crispy baked turkey wings! They are easy to make in the oven and super crispy (thanks to a special ingredient and a low/high baking method). And gigantic wings are also just so much fun!
- 8 split turkey wing pieces, tips removed (or 4 whole turkey wings – cut into drumettes and flats)
- 4 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prep: Preheat oven to 300F/150C (275F convection). Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven-safe wire rack on top. Brush or spray the rack with oil to keep wings from sticking.
- Dry wings: Dry the wings off really well with paper towels and place in a large bowl.
- Season: Combine the baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the wings and toss to evenly coat. They will just be lightly dusted.
- Bake: Arrange the wings on the wire rack in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes at the low temperature. Then, while leaving the wings in the oven, increase the temperature to 450F/230C (425F convection). Roast for 30 minutes, flip wings and roast for another 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Timing will depend on the size of your turkey wings and how crispy you like them!
- Serve: Remove from oven and let the turkey wings rest for 5 minutes before serving. Dress them up like chicken wings by tossing or dipping in your favorite sauce or serve as a turkey dinner with all your favorite sides.
- DO NOT use baking soda! Baking soda will give the wings a horrible metallic taste. Make sure to use aluminum free baking powder which has a neutral taste.
- Purchase split wings: I like to purchase split turkey wings to make things easier. However, if you can only find whole turkey wings, cut them first into drumettes and wingettes (flats) and reserve the tips for other uses like turkey stock.
- Baking powder to salt ratio: This recipe can easily be scaled to different quantities of wings. As written, it uses 8 split turkey wing pieces (or 4 whole turkey wings) which is approx. 3-4 lbs depending on size. The rough rule of thumb is to use 1 teaspoon baking powder + ¼ teaspoon salt for each pound of wings.
- Air Dry In Fridge: If you have the time and fridge space, you can place the uncovered baking sheet with the seasoned wings in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. This really dries out the skin so it crisps up a bit faster.
- Optional: Add spices and herbs: Additional spices and dried herbs can be added in with the baking powder/salt mixture if you like.
Keywords: turkey wings, baked turkey wings, roasted turkey wings