These Garlic Butter Green Beans are a delicious and easy to make side dish that everybody will be asking for seconds of.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed (454 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Optional toppings (see notes for ideas)
- Blanch: Blanch the green beans by cooking them in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes (tender crisp). Transfer immediately to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Once cool, drain and set aside.
- Saute: Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the green beans and toss until evenly coated and heated through. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove pan from the heat and stir through the parmesan.
- Serve: Garnish and serve. Toppings are optional but highly recommended! See notes for ideas.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted are both fine. You could also use ghee instead.
- Nutmeg: I prefer using whole nutmeg. I grate a small amount of it directly over top of the green beans with a handheld fine grater.
- Toppings: Garnishing with a few toppings is optional but highly recommended for some additional textures and flavours. Some ideas include: parmesan shavings, toasted pine nuts or almonds, chopped pistachios, lemon zest, chili flakes, crispy bacon bits, crispy onions or fried shallots, crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese.
- Make Ahead: The green beans can be blanched ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a few days. Simply saute in the garlic butter when ready to serve.
Keywords: garlic butter green beans, green bean recipe, sauteed green beans