Sauteed green beans tossed in delicious garlic butter and parmesan – Yum! These garlic butter green beans are a delicious and easy-to-make side dish recipe that everybody will be begging for seconds of.
Sauteed green beans are a veggie side dish that my whole family loves. Even the kids will gobble them up without any whining or complaints. Especially when they have been tossed in garlic butter and parmesan!
This recipe for garlic butter green beans is incredibly delicious, easy to make and is a versatile side dish that complements just about any main meal. Let’s make some!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you will need…
- Green Beans: Use fresh green beans.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted are both fine! You could also use ghee instead.
- Garlic: I like to grate my garlic using a handheld fine grater. So quick and easy!
- Parmesan: Use freshly grated parmesan.
- Nutmeg: This is optional but so good with green beans. I prefer to use whole nutmeg since it is so fragrant when freshly grated. Just use a fine grater to grate a touch directly over the green beans. However, you could also use a pinch of ground nutmeg instead.
- Salt + Pepper: Season to taste.
Detailed ingredient list and directions located in the recipe card below.
How To Prep Green Beans
The green beans need to be trimmed before cooking. You will need to cut the stem ends off unless you purchased them already trimmed. Simply line up a handful of green beans with the stem side all facing the same direction and slice them off with a knife. Continue until they have all been trimmed.
How To Make These Garlic Butter Green Beans
This is an easy 3-step process: blanch, saute, garnish and serve! Let’s make some garlic butter green beans!
Step 1: Blanch. Blanch the green beans by cooking them in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes (tender crisp). Transfer immediately to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Once cool, drain and set aside.
Step 2: Saute. Melt butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Add in the green beans and toss until evenly coated and heated through. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan.
Step 3: Garnish and serve. The garnishes are optional but highly recommended! They add extra texture, flavour and look great. Some garnish options include…
- Parmesan shavings
- Toasted pine nuts
- Toasted slivered or sliced almonds
- Chopped pistachios
- Lemon zest
- Chili flakes
- Crispy bacon bits
- Crispy onions or fried shallots
- Crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese
Helpful Tips + FAQ
- Make Ahead: The green beans can be blanched ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Simply saute in the garlic butter when ready to serve. I use this approach a lot – especially for holiday meals!
- Storage: Blanched green beans can be stored in the fridge for 3-5 days. Leftovers of the fully prepared dish can also be stored in the fridge for a few days.
- To Reheat: Best served immediately once fully prepared but any leftovers can be reheated on the stove in a little olive oil or butter.
Yes – they are one and the same! Green beans used to have fibrous “strings” running down the length of the pod similar to snap peas. However, modern green bean varieties no longer have these strings and now can only be found in some heirloom varieties.
I love using the blanch and saute method. Blanching first gives you the tender crisp texture and vibrant colour. Then you saute in flavourful ingredients to make them taste amazing. In this recipe, we saute in garlic butter and toss with parmesan and toppings. Believe me, these green beans taste good!
What To Serve Them With
These garlic butter green beans are a versatile side dish that go with just about anything. For an easy weeknight dinner, just pick a protein and serve it with these green beans. They also make an excellent side dish for holiday meals and look great next to the Thanksgiving turkey!
More Vegetable Side Dishes
Eat your veggies! Here are a few more delicious vegetable sides:
Let me know if you make this green beans recipe. Leave me a comment below!Print
These Garlic Butter Green Beans are a delicious and easy to make side dish that everybody will be asking for seconds of.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed (454 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Optional toppings (see notes for ideas)
- Blanch: Blanch the green beans by cooking them in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes (tender crisp). Transfer immediately to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Once cool, drain and set aside.
- Saute: Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the green beans and toss until evenly coated and heated through. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove pan from the heat and stir through the parmesan.
- Serve: Garnish and serve. Toppings are optional but highly recommended! See notes for ideas.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted are both fine. You could also use ghee instead.
- Nutmeg: I prefer using whole nutmeg. I grate a small amount of it directly over top of the green beans with a handheld fine grater.
- Toppings: Garnishing with a few toppings is optional but highly recommended for some additional textures and flavours. Some ideas include: parmesan shavings, toasted pine nuts or almonds, chopped pistachios, lemon zest, chili flakes, crispy bacon bits, crispy onions or fried shallots, crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese.
- Make Ahead: The green beans can be blanched ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a few days. Simply saute in the garlic butter when ready to serve.
Keywords: garlic butter green beans, green bean recipe, sauteed green beans
⬇ PIN it for later! ⬇