These Halloumi Fajitas are an easy and delicious vegetarian dinner recipe that the whole family will love!
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (I like to use Himalayan salt or sea salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8.8 oz (250g) halloumi cheese, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 bell peppers (I like to use a variety of colors), sliced into strips
- 1 onion (any color), halved and sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice of 1/2 a lime (optional)
- 8 small soft tortillas (flour or corn)
- Toppings of your choice (e.g. salsa, guacamole, sour cream, avocado, lime wedges, chopped green onion, hot sauce, etc.)
- Mix Fajita Seasoning: Combine all the fajita seasoning ingredients in a small bowl or jar and set aside.
- Season Halloumi: Mix together half of the fajita seasoning (1 tablespoon) with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Rub it all over the halloumi strips and set aside.
- Make Fajita Veggies: Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add the bell pepper and onion strips and sauté until tender crisp with a bit of charring, tossing occasionally. This will take about 5-10 minutes depending on how soft you like your veggies. When the veggies are almost done cooking, stir through the other half of the fajita seasoning (1 tablespoon) and the dried oregano. Transfer veggies to a bowl and wipe the skillet clean.
- Pan Fry Halloumi: In the same skillet over medium heat, pan fry the seasoned halloumi strips for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Combine: Add the veggies back to the skillet and a squeeze of fresh lime juice (optional). Toss together gently.
- Serve: Serve immediately with warmed tortillas (flour or corn) and your favorite toppings!
- Prep Ahead Tip: Speed things up at dinner time by having the veggies already pre sliced and the fajita seasoning mixed together.
- Chili Powder Note: The chili powder in this recipe refers to the American style chili powder which is a blend and not very spicy. It is NOT 100% ground up chilis. Just a friendly warning for international friends since your mouth will be on fire if you mix them up!
- Fajita Seasoning: Make a large batch of the fajita seasoning to easily have on hand. To make this recipe you will need 2 tablespoons of it.
- How many people does this serve? This recipe will make 8 small fajitas. The number of people it serves will depend on appetites and if you are also serving side dishes or not. For example, you could serve four people with two fajitas each along with some sides or it could be a full fajita dinner feast for two people.
Keywords: halloumi fajitas, vegetarian fajita recipe, vegetable fajitas