This tender, flavourful Herb Mustard Crusted Roast Beef recipe is a delicious option for Sunday dinner, entertaining or a special holiday meal.
- 1.5 kg or 3 lb beef roast (top sirloin, eye of round roast)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Himalayan or sea salt + freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 3 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 3 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup hot mustard (i.e. Dijon or German mustard)
- Optional (but highly recommended): Creamy Herb Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C.
- Heat avocado oil in a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Pat roast dry with some paper towel, season well with salt and pepper and place in pan to sear on all sides until golden brown (approx. 2-3 min per side).
- Place the cast iron pan containing the roast into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic and mustard in a small bowl.
- After 20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and spread the herb mustard mixture onto the top and sides of the roast.
- Return the roast to the oven and cook to desired degree of doneness. For medium rare, pull out of the oven when meat thermometer reads 125F (approx. another 25-30 min) or 135F for medium. (Note: these temperatures are 5F below desired doneness since temperature will continue to rise a bit while resting).
- Transfer roast to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with this Creamy Herb Sauce and enjoy!
- Let roast come to room temperature before cooking. Remove from fridge 45-60 min before cooking.