Learn how to poach an egg perfectly with the tips in this How-To recipe.
- 1 egg
- For serving: Himalayan or sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fill a large pot with at least 3-4 inches of water and bring to a bare simmer.
- Crack the egg into a fine mesh sieve that is set over a bowl to allow the watery parts of the egg white to pass through (this prevents the wispy pieces when you cook).
- Transfer the egg into a ramekin. If making additional eggs, repeat this process using a separate ramekin for each egg.
- Gently position the ramekin over the pot of barely simmering water and pour the egg in.
- Cook for 3 minutes for cooked whites and a runny yolk. Note: if there is any floating egg foam while cooking, just skim it off with a slotted spoon.
- Remove poached egg with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Sprinkle over some salt and pepper and enjoy!
- For tips and make-ahead instructions, read through the post.
- Here is an example of a fine mesh sieve – important to prevent the white wispy bits unless you are using super fresh eggs.
Keywords: poached eggs, how to poach eggs, perfect poached eggs, how to make poached eggs