This hearty Roasted Pumpkin and Beetroot Salad recipe is beautiful, easy to make and features delicious fall produce. The perfect fall/winter salad or holiday side dish!
For the salad:
- 2 pounds (900 grams) pumpkin/squash, peeled and cut into cubes (recommended varieties: Kent/Jap/kabocha or butternut)
- 4 medium sized beetroot (beets), peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (fine Himalayan or sea salt)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup diced or crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 large handful baby arugula (rocket) or salad sprouts
For the dressing:
- Preheat oven: Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare pumpkin and beetroot: Place the cubed pumpkin and beetroot on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread out evenly.
- Roast: Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway through or until tender and pumpkin is slightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare dressing: Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or shake together in a jar.
- Assemble salad: To assemble, toss together the roasted pumpkin and beetroot with the dressing. Place in a bowl or onto a serving platter. Scatter the feta, pine nuts, pepitas and baby arugula or salad sprouts over the top.
- Make Ahead: All of the elements of this salad can be prepped ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Add the dressing and assemble when ready to serve.
- Storage: Roast pumpkin and beetroot will be good in the fridge for up to 5 days. Once the salad has been dressed and assembled, it is best served immediately.
- Temperature: The roasted pumpkin and beetroot in the salad can be served warm, room temp or cold.
- Variations: See post for customization and substitution ideas.
Keywords: pumpkin and beetroot salad, roasted pumpkin salad, butternut squash salad, fall salad, pumpkin and feta salad