Looking for a fun, beautiful yet casual breakfast or brunch idea that everyone will love? Then a Breakfast Board (aka breakfast platter or breakfast charcuterie) is PERFECT! Learn how easy it is to assemble one plus lots of ideas for inspiration. Amazing for special occasions, entertaining or a relaxed weekend brunch!
What Is A Breakfast Board?
A Breakfast Board is simply a variety of breakfast or brunch foods that are beautifully arranged on a board or platter. It can be themed around a specific type of food like waffles for example or it can include a variety. They can be small and simple or fancy and elaborate – super versatile!
A breakfast board also goes by many other names. Some of the other terms used include: breakfast charcuterie, breakfast grazing platter, brunch board and brunch platter. Regardless of what you call it, they are such a fun way to serve breakfast or brunch.
Reasons To Love Them
Here are a few reasons why breakfast grazing boards are amazing…
- Perfect for special occasions: Such a fun and beautiful way to celebrate special occasions like birthdays, Christmas morning, Easter, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, baby showers, etc.
- Great for entertaining: Also fun to make when entertaining, hosting a weekend brunch with friends or treating overnight guests to.
- Versatile + Customizable: There are no rules! Arrange a variety of your favourite breakfast or brunch items or focus the board around a star item. They can be small or large, sweet or savoury (or a combo). The options are endless!
- Casual + Laid Back: Guests can feel relaxed, graze and help themselves.
- Beautiful: Visually stunning and makes an impressive centerpiece.
- Fun + Easy To Make + Everyone Loves Them!
What You’ll Need
Ready to make a breakfast board? It’s so easy! Here’s what you’ll need…
- Board, platter or other base: If you have a fancy board then this is the perfect time to pull it out and let it shine. If not, no worries! You don’t need anything special. You can use a wooden cutting board, serving platter, tray, baking sheet or even just place a piece of parchment paper or butcher paper in the center of the table to use as a base. If you are looking for a new board, you might like some of these options on Amazon and Etsy.
- Small Dishes: Small bowls, ramekins or other small dishes are useful for holding some of the toppings (especially the runny ones like spreads or sauces).
- Food Items: Choose the main focus or star of your breakfast board. Perhaps waffles, pancakes, etc. or a full variety of items. See below for lots of fun ideas! Also decide what other ingredients you want to include on your board (e.g. toppings, fruit, sides, etc.).
How To Build A Breakfast Or Brunch Board
Here are the basic steps for putting one together. The beauty of a Breakfast Board is that there are no rules! You can be creative and customize them any way you like.
- Gather your base and dishes: Start off by grabbing your board, platter or whatever base you are using and any small dishes that you will be filling with toppings.
- Prepare toppings and cold sides: Gather and prepare toppings and place into small bowls or dishes if needed. Cut and prep any cold sides or ingredients like fruit and veggies.
- Make hot dishes: Cook or reheat hot components.
- Assemble: Arrange everything on the board or platter. There is no right or wrong way to do this. I like to first place the small bowls of toppings down, followed by the large items and then fill in the gaps with fruit or small items.
Breakfast Board Ideas
Looking for some inspiration? Here are a few fun ideas to get the creative juices flowing!
Waffle Breakfast Board
This Build Your Own Waffle Board is perfect for waffle lovers! Simply, arrange waffles, toppings and fresh fruit on a board or platter. You can use either homemade or store bought waffles. I used my family’s favourite German waffle recipe.
Bagel Brunch Board
This Bagel Board is such a fun brunch idea! Everyone gets to top their bagel just the way they like it with a variety of savoury and sweet toppings to choose from.
Classic Breakfast Grazing Board
This is a beautiful way to serve a classic bacon and eggs breakfast. Besides the bacon and eggs, I also included breakfast sausages, hash browns, croissants, spreads and fresh fruit. I made fried eggs but you could also make scrambled eggs, poached eggs or soft boiled eggs instead.
French Toast Breakfast Platter
This stunning little breakfast platter features French toast, variety of toppings, bacon and lots of fresh fruit. Yum!
This is a cute, healthy breakfast idea. Everyone can build their own bowl of oatmeal, customized to their tastes. Simply cook up a batch of these steel cut oats (or your preferred oatmeal) and place on a board with a variety of different toppings.
Pancake Charcuterie Board
Pancakes are a weekend staple! Serving them “breakfast charcuterie” style makes them feel extra special. Simply arrange them on a board with a variety of toppings, fruit and a side or two if you like.
Here are some more great ideas from some other talented bloggers to check out:
- Top-Your-Own Toast Board by The BakerMama
- Smoked Salmon & Eggs Breakfast Platter by Cook At Home Mom
- Crepe Breakfast Platter by Windy City Dinner Fairy
- Amazing Holiday Breakfast Board by California Grown
- Bagel & Lox Sharing Board by A Food Lover’s Kitchen
- Build-Your-Own Breakfast Taco Board by The BakerMama
A Few Questions Answered
Prep everything else that will be going on the board first. Add in the hot food items once you are ready to quickly assemble and serve the board.
There is no “right way” to do this. My preference is to start by placing the bowls or other small dishes on the board. Then I add the larger food items and fill in the rest of the space with the smaller items.
Use a variety of foods with different colours and textures. Another way to add some visual variation is by using different sized bowls for things like spreads and toppings. When filling out the board, you can fill in all the empty space with smaller food items or create groupings with space between. Both are beautiful!
It depends! Adjust the board size to the number of people you will be serving. They can serve as little as 1-2 people as well as large groups. For a large group, you will either need to use a huge board or make more than one.
Serve the breakfast board with a drink or selection of drinks: coffee or tea, mimosas, fresh squeezed juice, hot chocolate, etc. You could also include some additional side dishes as well.
I hope this gives you lots of inspiration for your next special breakfast or brunch. Leave me a comment below if you make a breakfast board or tag me on Instagram @maple_and_mango. I would love to see and hear about your beautiful creations!Print
A breakfast board (aka breakfast platter or breakfast charcuterie) is such a fun and beautiful way to serve breakfast or brunch! Learn how easy it is to assemble one and check out the post for lots of inspiration. Perfect for special occasions, entertaining or a relaxed weekend brunch!
- Main breakfast or brunch dish: pick one or a selection to be the star of the board (ideas include: waffles, pancakes, french toast, bagels, egg dish, etc.)
- Fruit or Vegetables: a variety of colourful fruits or veggies
- Sides: optional extras that complement your main dish like bacon, eggs, etc.
- Toppings or Spreads
- Special Equipment: A board, serving platter or other base and small bowls to hold toppings or spreads
- Gather your equipment: Start off by grabbing your board, platter or whatever base you are using and any small dishes that you will be filling with toppings or spreads.
- Prepare toppings and cold sides: Gather and prepare toppings. Place into small bowls or dishes if needed. Cut and prep any cold sides or ingredients like fruit and veggies.
- Prepare hot dishes: Cook or reheat any hot components.
- Assemble: Arrange everything on the board or platter. There is no right or wrong way to do this. My preference is to first place the small bowls of toppings down, followed by the large items and then fill in the gaps with fruit or small items.
- There are no rules! These are just the basic steps since the beauty of a breakfast board is how versatile and customizable they are. Get creative and have fun with it! Need some inspiration? Check out the post for lots of great ideas!
- Prep time, cook time and yield will vary depending on the types of foods you are including and the size of your board. It can be simple or elaborate, small or large. The possibilities are endless!
- Looking for a new board? I found lots of beautiful options at a variety of price points on Amazon and Etsy.