A Build Your Own Waffle Board is such a fun and beautiful way to serve breakfast or brunch. Learn just how easy it is to assemble one! Perfect for special occasions or a leisurely Sunday brunch!
What Is A Waffle Board
A waffle board is an example of a “breakfast charcuterie board“. Waffles, toppings and fruit are beautifully arranged on a board or platter. It’s a fun and cute idea for breakfast, brunch or even dessert!
The great thing about a waffle breakfast board is how versatile it is. You can keep it small and simple or go all out! It can be customized in so many different ways. Let me show you how easy it is to assemble one!
Perfect For Special Occasions
Who wouldn’t want to be treated to one of these boards? It’s such a beautiful way to celebrate special occasions like Christmas morning, Valentine’s Day, birthdays, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, etc. They are also fun to make when hosting a weekend brunch with friends or to treat overnight guests to.
What You’ll Need
Ready to make a waffle board? Here’s what you will need…
- Board or other base: If you have a fancy board then this is the perfect time to pull it out and let it shine! If not, no worries! You don’t need anything special. You can use a wooden cutting board, serving platter, tray, baking sheet or even just line the table with a piece of parchment paper down the center to use as a base. I simply used my large wooden cutting board to make this one.
- Small dishes: Small bowls, ramekins or other small dishes are useful for holding some of the toppings (especially runny ones like spreads or sauces).
- Waffles: No surprise here! You can either make homemade waffles or heat up some store bought waffles. I used my family’s favourite German waffle recipe.
- Toppings: The options are endless! I have listed out some ideas below.
- Fresh Fruit: These can also be used as toppings for your waffles or to eat alongside. They make a beautiful addition to the board. A few ideas include: bananas, berries, orange, pomegranate, mango, peaches, etc. Just pick a few of your favourites or whatever is in season or on special.
Waffle Topping Ideas
There are so many options! You can pick a few or include an elaborate variety depending on the type of waffle board you want to build. Here are a few topping ideas:
- Maple syrup or honey
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate spread or chocolate sauce
- Fruit sauce, compote or jam
- Chopped nuts
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
Serve For Dessert: You could also transform this into a waffle dessert board by also including toppings like ice cream.
How To Make A Breakfast Or Brunch Waffle Board
Waffle boards can be customized any way you like. All you need is waffles, toppings, fruit and something to arrange it all on. Here are the basic steps to putting together a waffle board…
- Gather your dishes: Grab your board, platter or whatever base you are using and any small dishes that you will be filling with toppings.
- Prepare fruit and toppings: Prep all the fruit (wash, cut, etc.). Gather and prepare the toppings by placing into small bowls or dishes if needed.
- Make Waffles: Make homemade waffles or heat up store bought waffles.
- Assemble: Arrange the waffles on a board or serving platter with the toppings and fresh fruit. There is no right or wrong way to do this. I like to first place the small bowls of toppings on the board, followed by the waffles and then fill in the gaps with fruit or dry toppings.
Tip: Keep the waffles warm and crispy until you are ready to assemble the board by placing in a 200F (90C) oven. Place in a single layer either directly on the oven rack or on a baking sheet with wire baking rack set inside.
What To Serve With It
Serve with a drink or selection of drinks: coffee or tea, mimosas, hot chocolate, fresh squeezed juice, etc. You could also include some additional breakfast side dishes like bacon, breakfast sausages or eggs.
I love breakfast boards! Check out these Fun Breakfast Board Ideas for more inspiration.
Leave me a comment below if you make a waffle board! I would also love to see your creations on Instagram (be sure to tag me @maple_and_mango).Print
A Build Your Own Waffle Board is such a fun and beautiful way to serve breakfast or brunch. Perfect for special occasions or a leisurely weekend brunch!
- Waffles (either homemade or store bought)
- Toppings (see list of Waffle Topping Ideas)
- Fresh Fruit (e.g. bananas, berries, oranges, pomegranate, mango, peaches, etc.)
- Special Equipment: A board, serving platter or other base and small bowls to hold toppings
- Gather equipment: Grab a base to use (board, platter, tray, baking sheet, etc.) and small bowls or other dishes to hold toppings.
- Prepare fruit and toppings: Wash and cut the fruit. Gather and prepare the toppings by placing into small dishes if needed.
- Make waffles: Make homemade waffles or heat up some store bought waffles.
- Assemble: Arrange the waffles, toppings and fresh fruit on the board or serving platter. There is no right or wrong way to do this. I like to first place the small bowls of toppings on the board, followed by the waffles and then fill in the empty space with fresh fruit or dry toppings.
- I used my family’s favourite German waffle recipe.
- Keeping Waffles Warm: Place finished waffles in a 200F (90C) oven to keep them warm and crispy until ready to assemble the board. Arrange in a single layer either directly on the oven rack or on a baking sheet with wire baking rack set inside.
- Versatile: These waffle boards are so versatile. You can keep it small and simple or fancy and elaborate. The options are endless! Time to prep and the yield will vary depending on what items you include and the quantity. You can make a board for two people or for a crowd!
Keywords: waffle board, waffle breakfast, waffle brunch board
⬇ PIN it for later! ⬇