This refreshing Strawberry Slushie recipe is super easy to make with just 4 simple ingredients and a blender. Perfect for hot summer days, kid friendly and made with healthy real food ingredients that you can feel good about!
Slushies! Cold, refreshing and so good on a hot day – am I right? Do you love slushies (or have kids that love them) but looking for a healthier version? This delicious strawberry slushie recipe is made with fresh fruit, naturally sweetened with honey and is so easy to make in the blender. These homemade frozen drinks are sure to become a favourite all summer long!
Reasons Why These Slushies Rock
I love these slushies for a number of reasons…
- Healthy Ingredients: No artificial colours, flavours or high fructose corn syrup here. This recipe contains fresh strawberries and is naturally sweetened with some honey which you control the quantity of. This is a slushie that you can feel good about!
- Kid Friendly: Both of my kids love these and give them two thumbs up – always a win!
- Easy To Make: You simply throw a few ingredients in the blender.
- Refreshing + Delicious: The perfect treat for hot summer days!
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make these strawberry slushies, you will need 4 simple ingredients…
- Fresh strawberries: Sweet, in-season strawberries are the most delicious if you can get your hands on them.
- Water or other liquid: A bit of liquid is needed. I like to use one of the following: water, coconut water, sparkling water or kombucha.
- Honey: I like to use local honey but you can also find quality raw or pure honey at the grocery store.
- Ice Cubes: Needed to make the slushie consistency.
How To Make Homemade Strawberry Slushies
These are so easy to make! Simply…
- Make strawberry mixture: Place strawberries, water (or other liquid) and honey into a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Adjust sweetness to taste and blend again if you added more honey.
- Add ice: Add ice cubes to the blender.
- Blend it up: Blend on high until the mixture takes on a slushie consistency. Adjust consistency as desired. Too thin? Add some more ice. Too thick? Add a touch more water.
- Enjoy: Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Detailed ingredient list and directions located in the recipe card below.
Here are a few tips to help you achieve the perfect homemade strawberry slushie.
A High Powered Blender Is Key
In order to achieve the perfect “slushie” consistency, you need to use a high powered blender that is strong enough to crush ice. There are lots of options and brands available. I like the Vitamix blenders and this is the specific Vitamix model that I currently use and love (but they are all great!).
Sweeten Before Adding Ice
For the best results, I like to first blend together the strawberries, water and honey before adding in the ice. This creates a smooth strawberry mixture that is also easy to sweeten to taste. The amount of honey needed depends on how sweet your strawberries are and how sweet you want your slushies to be.
Start off with 1 tbsp of honey and take a taste. Add more if needed and blend again before adding ice. Keep in mind that the sweetness level will be reduced once the ice is added. My kids like it best when the mixture has about 2-3 tbsp honey added whereas I am fine with less.
You can customize this slushie recipe in a number of ways. Here are a few options…
- Make it vegan: Swap out the honey for maple syrup or organic cane sugar.
- Add some herbs or citrus: Some mint or basil or a squeeze of citrus like lime or orange would all make delicious additions.
- Switch up the fruit: Add a blend of strawberries and another fruit or completely swap out the strawberries all together.
- Make it a cocktail: Turn this slushie into a frozen cocktail by adding in some rum or vodka.
More Refreshing Drinks
Here are some more drinks to stay cool with this summer…
- Strawberry Mojito Mocktail
- Vitamin C Powerhouse Smoothie
- Healthy Summer Mocktails
- Refreshing Healthy-ish Summer Cocktails
I hope that you enjoy this healthy strawberry slushie recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments if you try it out!Print
This refreshing strawberry slushie recipe is super easy to make with just 4 simple ingredients and a blender. Perfect for hot summer days, kid friendly and made with healthy real food ingredients that you can feel good about!
- Place strawberries, water and honey into a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Tip: Taste and adjust sweetness by adding more honey and blending again. Remember that the sweetness level will be reduced once the ice is added.
- Add the ice cubes to the blender. Blend on high until the mixture reaches the consistency of a slushie. Too thin? Add in some more ice. Too thick? Add a touch more water.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!
- Use a high powered blender: Using a high powered blender like a Vitamix is essential in order to achieve the perfect “slush consistency”. This is the specific Vitamix model that I currently use and love (but there are lots of other great options out there).
- Adjust sweetness before adding ice: I like to blend together the strawberries, water and honey first. Not only does it create a smooth strawberry mixture but it also allows you to easily adjust the sweetness to taste. The amount of honey needed will depend on how sweet your strawberries are and how sweet you like your slushies. Start off with 1 tbsp of honey, taste and add in more as needed (my kids like 2-3 tbsp). Just keep in mind that the sweetness will be reduced once the ice is added. Once your mixture tastes good, add the ice and continue blending.
Keywords: strawberry slushie, healthy slushie, summer drink
⬇ PIN it for later! ⬇