This Winter Holiday Salad is loaded with baby greens, pear, pomegranate, pistachios and goat cheese which all gets topped off with a delicious, sweet and tangy pomegranate vinaigrette. The perfect salad for Christmas, Thanksgiving or a regular weeknight dinner!
This festive looking salad has Christmas written ALL OVER IT – just look at that red, white and green and those seasonal flavours! It would also make a beautiful addition to a Thanksgiving table. Or just enjoy it all fall and winter long like I do!
Not only beautiful but also healthy and delicious! This salad recipe features baby greens, pomegranate, pear, pistachios and goat cheese. It all then gets topped with a drizzle of delicious pomegranate vinaigrette. Yum!
Reasons To Love This Winter Salad
- Perfect salad for holiday meals or to enjoy any day throughout the fall and winter seasons
- Makes a festive looking Christmas salad (especially when arranged into a wreath shape)
- Easy to make!
- Beautiful and delicious: full of a variety of flavours, textures and colours
- Easy to adapt to meet a variety of dietary needs or preferences (check out the “Possible Variations” section for ideas)
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you will need to make this winter salad recipe…
- Baby Greens: I like to use baby arugula but mixed baby greens or baby spinach are also great choices.
- Pomegranate Arils: You can either remove them from a pomegranate yourself or purchase them ready to go at the store (usually located in the refrigerated area of the produce section stored in little tubs).
- Pistachios: To make it easy, I like to purchase shelled pistachios but you could also remove the shells yourself.
- Pear: You can use any type of pear. Just make sure it is ripe but still somewhat firm. Nobody wants pear mush in their salad!
- Goat Cheese: Crumbled goat cheese is delicious in this salad. If you are using a really soft, creamy goat cheese like chevre, just break off little pieces with your fingers.
- Pomegranate Vinaigrette: The perfect finishing touch! The recipe makes a generous amount of this easy and delicious pomegranate salad dressing. Just use as little or as much as you like and store the rest in the fridge.
Detailed ingredient list and directions located in the recipe card below.
How To Make This Winter Holiday Salad
This salad is really easy to put together. Simply…
- Assemble salad ingredients: Place the arugula or baby greens onto a serving platter, in a large salad bowl or divided among individual salad plates. Scatter the chopped pear, pomegranate arils, shelled pistachios and goat cheese crumbles over the top.
- Prepare pomegranate salad dressing: Whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or shake together in a jar.
- Serve: Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top right before serving or serve separately alongside the salad.
Make A Christmas Wreath Salad
The red, white and green in this salad make it perfect for Christmas. Make this salad even more festive by arranging it in the shape of a wreath with a small bowl of the dressing in the center.
How To Serve It
This salad goes well with any meal – pairs well with turkey, chicken, roast beef, pork tenderloin, lasagna, ham, salmon, etc. The colours and flavours make it the perfect salad for your holiday meal but also easy enough to enjoy all fall and winter long.
Here are a few presentation suggestions depending on when you serve it:
- Weekday Lunch or Dinner: Simply toss together in a salad bowl or serve on individual salad plates.
- Thanksgiving or Dinner Party: Arrange it on a serving platter. It will look beautiful displayed alongside your roast turkey or main course.
- Christmas: Have some fun by presenting this festive looking salad in the shape of a wreath (as shown above). Makes a stunning centerpiece for your holiday table!
Storage + Make Ahead Tips
Make Ahead: This salad is best assembled right before serving or the dressing will wilt the greens and the pear will brown. However, the dressing can be made ahead of time and all of the components (except for the pear) can be prepped and stored individually in the fridge. Then just chop up the pear and assemble right before serving.
Storage: The dressing will keep for about a week in the fridge. Salad ingredients (except for the pear) can be prepped and stored separately in airtight containers in the fridge for a few days.
Shortcuts: Purchase ready-to-go pomegranate arils, shelled pistachios and pre-washed greens to make this salad super quick and easy.
Salads are so easy to customize and this one is no exception. Here are a few options…
- Use different nuts: Walnut or pecans would also work well in this salad.
- Make it nut free: Substitute the pistachios for pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds instead.
- Use different cheese: Feta or blue cheese crumbles would also be delicious.
- Use different fruit: Other seasonal fruits that would work well are apples, dried cranberries, persimmons, oranges, mandarins, etc.
- Swap the dressing: A dressing with a bit of sweetness like a raspberry or balsamic vinaigrette would also pair well.
- Make it vegan: Simply substitute the cheese for a plant based alternative or omit it. Also use the maple syrup option instead of honey in the dressing.
- Add protein: Make it a meal by adding on some chicken breast or quinoa.
- Make it more festive: I kept this easy but you could also cut little stars out of the pear or make fans with thin slices to make this salad even more festive.
More Winter + Holiday Veggie Sides
Here are a few more vegetable side dishes to enjoy this winter or to add to your holiday table…
Did you try this Winter Holiday Salad? Let me know in the comments!Print
This Winter Holiday Salad is the perfect salad for Christmas, Thanksgiving or to enjoy any day all fall and winter long! Loaded with baby greens, pear, pomegranate, pistachios and goat cheese that all gets topped with a delicious pomegranate vinaigrette.
- 5 ounces baby arugula or mixed baby greens or baby spinach (142 g)
- 1 large pear, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Prepare dressing: Whisk together all the pomegranate vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or shake together in a jar.
- Assemble salad: Place the greens onto a serving platter, in a large salad bowl or divided among individual salad plates. Scatter the chopped pear, pomegranate arils, shelled pistachios and crumbled goat cheese over the top.
- Serve: Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top of the salad right before serving or serve separately alongside the salad.
- Pomegranate vinaigrette: This recipe makes a generous amount of dressing. Just use as little or as much as you like and store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- What type of pear to use? Any type is fine. Just make sure that it is ripe but still somewhat firm. Nobody wants pear mush in their salad!
- Storage: This salad doesn’t store well once assembled. The greens will wilt and pear will brown. If making in advance, store all the components separately and chop up the pear and assemble right before serving.
- Christmas Salad: Arrange it in the shape of a wreath with a small bowl of the dressing in the center for a festive Christmas salad.
- Customize: Check out the “Possible Variations” section for lots of ways to customize this salad.
Keywords: winter salad, christmas salad, holiday salad, pomegranate salad
⬇ PIN it for later! ⬇