These 3-ingredient Chocolate Halloween Popcorn Balls are a fun and easy Halloween treat that both kids and adults will love! What’s not to love about chocolate covered popcorn after all? It’s so good!
Here’s Why You’ll Love Them
This is essentially chocolate popcorn! So… what’s not to love? However, here are a few more reasons why this recipe is amazing!
- Quick and easy to make: This super easy Halloween treat takes just minutes to make with two simple ingredients (plus your decorations)!
- No Sticky Hands: No sticky mess here since there are no marshmallows or corn syrup in this recipe! In fact, you never even need to touch the mixture with your hands.
- Fun Halloween Food: This is a fun Halloween party food idea, cute treat for the kids or the perfect Halloween movie night snack.
- Easy To Customize: Add different fun candies or decorations that you might find. You could even easily make a version for other holidays or birthday parties.
- Everyone loves them! Kids love them and so do adults! These are a fun Halloween treat that the whole family will enjoy.
What You’ll Need
You only need 3 ingredients to make these Halloween popcorn balls…
- Popcorn: Just plain popped popcorn! You can use packaged plain popcorn or pop it yourself. I like to use freshly made popcorn from my air popper.
- Chocolate: White, milk or dark chocolate – it’s up to you! You can either chop up the chocolate or use chocolate chips.
- Decorations: This is the fun part and what turns these popcorn balls into a Halloween themed treat! Candy eye balls are super fun and come in a variety of sizes. Some other ideas include Halloween sprinkles, chocolate spiders or any other fun edible decorations you happen to find!
You will also need one of the following to pour the chocolate popcorn mixture into so that it can set and release easily: a 12-cup silicone muffin pan OR silicone baking cups OR a regular muffin pan lined with plastic wrap.
Detailed ingredient list and directions located in the recipe card below.
How To Make Halloween Chocolate Popcorn Balls
Let me show you how super easy these are to make! Simply…
STEP 1: Grab or prep your muffin pan. Here are three options that will release the set chocolate popcorn ball easily. My favorite is to use a 12-cup silicone muffin pan. However, you could also use silicone baking cups set on a baking sheet or line a regular muffin pan with a sheet of plastic wrap that is pushed down into the the cups.
Tip: I love using a structured silicone muffin pan. It’s easy to move around without sagging or collapsing. Two good ones are the Trudeau Structured Silicone Muffin Pan and the Boxiki Kitchen Silicone Muffin Pan with Steel Frame.
STEP 2: Melt chocolate. My preferred method is to place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a small pot of gently simmering water (making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl) and stirring until melted. You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20-second increments, stirring between each one. Be careful not to overheat or burn the chocolate.
STEP 3: Stir together. Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn in a large mixing bowl. Make sure to remove any unpopped kernels first! Stir well until the popcorn is evenly coated in the chocolate.
STEP 4: Spoon into muffin pan and decorate. Working quickly, spoon the chocolate popcorn mixture evenly into the silicone muffin pan or baking cups. Gently press the candy eyeballs, Halloween sprinkles or other edible decoration on the top of each popcorn ball. These will be held in place once the chocolate hardens.
STEP 5: Set and enjoy! Place in the fridge until completely set and hardened (about 15-20 minutes). Remove the popcorn balls from the muffin pan or baking cups. You should be able to pop them right out once set.
These are best eaten the same day but can also be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for a few days.
Easy To Customize
This recipe is super versatile! Have fun by using different types of chocolate and decorating with different candies and edible decorations that you might find. Not only can you make these popcorn balls for Halloween, but you could also modify the decorations to make them a fun treat for other holidays or birthday parties!
To make the Halloween popcorn balls shown below, I used:
- Ghost Popcorn Ball: white chocolate and 2 regular sized candy eyeballs
- Monster Popcorn Ball: milk chocolate with one big candy eyeball or multiple regular candy eyeballs, dark chocolate with one big candy eyeball and gummy teeth.
- Halloween Sprinkle Popcorn Ball: white chocolate version and milk chocolate version with Halloween sprinkles
- Spider Popcorn Ball: white chocolate with a chocolate spider (made the spiders by piping melted dark chocolate into a spider shape onto parchment paper and then placing in freezer until set).
More Halloween Recipes
Looking for some more fun Halloween food ideas? Make sure to check out these posts!
- 10 Healthy + Easy Halloween Snacks
- Easy Monster Halloween Veggie Tray
- Puking Pumpkin Halloween Taco Board
- Fun + Spooky Halloween Dinner Ideas
These 3-ingredient Chocolate Halloween Popcorn Balls are a fun and easy Halloween treat that everyone will love!
- Prep Equipment: Grab or prep your muffin pan and set aside. Here are 3 options that will release the set chocolate popcorn ball easily: a 12-cup silicone muffin pan (my preference), 12 silicone baking cups set on a baking sheet or a regular muffin pan lined with a sheet of plastic wrap that is pushed down into the cups.
- Melt Chocolate: Melt the chocolate either in a heat-proof bowl set over a small pot of gently simmering water or in the microwave in 20-second increments until smooth. Be careful not to overheat or burn the chocolate.
- Mix: Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn in a large mixing bowl. Stir together until the popcorn is evenly coated in the chocolate.
- Distribute + Decorate: Working quickly, spoon the chocolate popcorn mixture evenly into the muffin pan or baking cups. Gently press the candy eyeballs, Halloween sprinkles or other edible decoration on the top of each popcorn ball. These will be held in place once the chocolate hardens.
- Set: Place in the fridge until completely set and hardened (about 15-20 minutes). Remove the popcorn balls from the muffin pan or baking cups. You should be able to pop them right out once set. Enjoy!
Keywords: halloween popcorn balls, chocolate popcorn balls, easy halloween treat
⬇ PIN it for later! ⬇