This Orange Spice Mulled Tea is steeped with orange slices, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. It’s the perfect tea to cozy up with this holiday season!
Colder weather = sweaters, warm blankets and hot drinks! Or at least that is my basic formula for the Fall/Winter season since I am ALWAYS cold. To help stay warm and cozy, my hot drink of choice on a daily basis is some type of tea. This easy to make recipe gives your cup of tea a holiday twist with some traditional mulling spices and orange slices. It will also make your home smell comforting and festive!
Let’s make some tea, get cozy under a blanket and relax…
Orange Spice Mulled Tea Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Orange Spice Mulled Tea…
- Water: No surprise here since we are steeping tea
- Black Tea: Loose leaf or tea bags…your choice!
- Orange: 1 orange sliced into rounds
- Cinnamon + Cloves + Cardamom: These are the warming, mulling spices that will infuse the tea with flavor. Use the whole form versions vs ground.
Detailed ingredient list and directions located in the recipe card below.
How To Make Orange Spice Mulled Tea
This delicious tea is easy to make and has the added bonus of making your home smell amazing. Simply…
- Simmer Spices: Place water, orange slices and spices in a pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add Tea + Steep: Turn off the heat and add in the black tea. Cover and steep for 2-5 minutes.
- Strain: Strain the tea.
- Serve: Pour into a tea cup and get cozy! For a festive touch, garnish with a cinnamon stick and orange slice.
Tip: You can also bundle everything in cheesecloth to avoid straining. Just pop the bundle out when tea is ready to serve.
Here are a few ways to customize your Orange Spice Mulled Tea:
- Make It Sweet: Sweeten with some honey or organic cane sugar.
- Change The Spices: Switch up the spices to change the flavor or use what you have on hand. Some other options include: allspice, nutmeg or ginger
- Elevate the Orange Flavor: Squeeze in some fresh orange juice for sweetness and extra orange flavor.
- Make It Boozy: Add in a shot of rum, brandy or Grand Marnier for a spiked hot tea.
Why Spiced Tea Is So Good For You
Spiced tea like this Orange Spice Mulled Tea recipe offers the benefits of not only the tea, but also of the various spices added. Spiced teas are a rich source of antioxidants that help strengthen your body’s immune system. A few of the health benefits of the ingredients in this tea recipe include:
- Black Tea: Contains antioxidants and compounds that can help reduce inflammation in the body. Read more about the health benefits of black tea HERE.
- Cinnamon: Loaded with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, helps reduce blood pressure and cholesterol, helps balance blood sugar levels.
- Cloves: High in antioxidants, antimicrobial properties, helps stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Cardamom: Rich in compounds that may fight inflammation.
- Orange: Good source of Vitamin C and antioxidants.
What To Serve With Orange Spice Mulled Tea
This tea is perfect on its own or paired with a delicious baked treat like these Apple Cinnamon Scones, this Plum and Apple Crumble or one of these German Cookies.
Do you love tea as much as I do? Let me know in the comments!Print
Orange Spice Mulled Tea
- Prep Time: 3 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Steep
- Cuisine: American
Stay warm and cozy with this easy to make, delicious Orange Spice Mulled Tea recipe.
- 4 cups water
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods
- 4 teaspoons black loose leaf tea (or 4 tea bags)
- Optional: sweeten with honey or organic cane sugar
- Simmer: Combine water, orange slices and spices in a pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Steep: Turn off the heat and add in the black tea. Cover pot and steep for 2-5 minutes.
- Strain: Strain and serve as is or sweeten with a little honey or sugar. You can also squeeze in a bit of fresh orange juice for sweetness.
- Serve: For an extra festive flare, garnish with a cinnamon stick and orange slice.
- Tip: You can also bundle everything in cheesecloth to avoid straining. Just pop the bundle out when tea is ready to serve.
- Spike It: Add in a shot of rum, brandy or Grand Marnier for a hot toddy style drink.
Keywords: tea recipe, spiced tea, mulled tea, orange tea
⬇ PIN it for later! ⬇
I made this exactly as written. Tastes like tea with cardamom. No orange or spice flavor detectable. Disappointing.
Vanessa | Maple + Mango
I’m so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with this tea. This is one of my favourite cozy mulled tea recipes. It will be steeped with the flavours of the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and orange slices and should have a very comforting scent while steeping. The orange flavour will be subtle since the orange slices are just being steeped. However, in the “Possible Variations” section of the post, there is a suggestion on how to elevate the orange flavour if you are after a more intense, sweet orange flavour. The recommendation is to squeeze in some fresh orange juice for sweetness and extra orange flavour. I always try to provide “possible variations” in the posts with suggestions on how to customize to suit different tastes. Hope this helps!
I love the flavors and the smells were warming and comforting. This is a super easy recipe and worth your time. Drink your tea!
Vanessa | Maple + Mango
Glad you enjoyed it! I love the comforting smells as well:)
Probably one of the best ways to use my spices. Making mulled tea is so relaxing and the aromas fill my house. Hell, even though I’m just in college, the whole dormitory can smell the lovely wafting smells and they soon line up at my door for a cup!
Vanessa | Maple + Mango
Glad you loved it! The comforting smells of this tea truly are an added benefit!