Looking for a delicious nacho cheese sauce that is also dairy free and nut free? Then look no further because this Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce recipe is highly addictive and perfect for dipping!
Let me tell you a little bit about this delicious, healthy nacho cheese sauce. It is…
- Dairy free + Nut Free: This nacho cheese sauce is vegan which means it is already naturally dairy free and plant based. However, most vegan cheese sauces contain cashews but this one is also completely nut free. Also happens to be gluten free, making it a great recipe for people with a variety of food restrictions.
- Easy To Make: Just blend everything together in a high powered blender to achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Delicious + Totally Addictive: This is the most important part! Makes a great healthy option for when those snack cravings hit!
Whether you are vegan or not, you’re going to love it! I’m not vegan, dairy free or nut free (or have any restrictions for that matter) but I focus on food made with real ingredients and this recipe just happens to also tick all those boxes. Therefore, this would be a great recipe for those with dietary restrictions.
Just note that this sauce will not taste identical to a traditional dairy-based nacho cheese sauce like my recipe for Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce. Although it has a similar flavour profile, it is a completely different sauce. But don’t worry, it is still incredibly delicious and super versatile!
What is nut free vegan nacho cheese sauce made of?
To make this Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce recipe, you will need:
- Veggies: You will need potato, carrot and red bell pepper. I like the texture best of thin skinned white or yellow potatoes vs a starchy potato.
- Nutritional Yeast: This gives the sauce its’ “cheesy” flavour.
- Water: To thin out the sauce.
- Avocado Oil: Provides richness.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed.
- Spices: Combo of spices to create that “nacho” flavour: onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, paprika, ground turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper.
How To Make Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
In order to make this delicious, healthy sauce, simply…
- Boil chopped potato and carrot. Add the chopped potato and carrot to a small pot, cover with water and boil until very soft.
- Add everything else to blender. Meanwhile, add the remaining ingredients into a blender and set aside.
- Blend Blend Blend. Drain the potatoes and carrots and add them to the other ingredients already in the blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Season and serve. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper. Add more water or avocado oil if needed to achieve the desired consistency. Serve with tortilla chips or one of the ways listed below!
Detailed ingredient list and directions located in the recipe card below.
Ways To Use Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
This sauce is super versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Serve it as a dip with tortilla chips, veggies or fries.
- Drizzle it over steamed broccoli, baked potatoes or nachos.
- Make a pasta dish by simply mixing it together with some cooked pasta or as part of a more elaborate casserole type dish.
- Use it in any “cheesy” way you can think of!
Looking to customize this vegan nacho cheese recipe? Here are a few ideas…
- Turn up the heat! Make it spicy by adding in more cayenne, your favourite hot sauce or some jalapenos.
- Change up the spices! You can adjust the spices to suit your own tastes. For example, you could substitute the spices with approx. 2 tsp chili powder seasoning blend (plus salt to taste).
- Top it! Jazz it up by adding some toppings like green onions, jalapenos, pico de gallo, etc.
Some Helpful Tips
Tips For A Smooth Consistency
The two most important things to ensure you end up with a smooth and creamy consistency are to:
- Make sure to cook your potatoes and carrots until they are very soft!
- Use a high-powered blender! It can make all the difference between sauces that are perfectly smooth and those that still have little bits in them. This is the Vitamix blender that I personally have owned for a few years and love!
Storage + Reheating Tips
Store leftover sauce in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a small pot over low heat. If it is too thick, simply whisk in a bit of water until the desired consistency is achieved.
Did you make this Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce recipe? Let me know in the comments!Print
This Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce recipe is not only delicious, easy to make and totally addictive but also dairy-free and nut-free!
- 1 cup peeled and chopped potatoes (thin skinned white or yellow potato)
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (approx. 1/2 a pepper)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (depends on the intensity that you prefer – I like using 1/2 cup)
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (approx. 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Himalayan or sea salt + cayenne pepper, to taste
- Place the chopped potatoes and carrots in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until very soft (approx. 10-15 min).
- Meanwhile, add the remaining ingredients (except for salt and cayenne) into a high speed blender and set aside.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and carrots and add to the blender. Blend on high until smooth. Add more water or avocado oil if needed to achieve the perfect consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper. Serve immediately or keep warm in a small pot over very low heat until ready to serve.
- Storage + Reheating: Store leftover sauce in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a small pot over low heat (whisking in a bit of water if too thick).
- Smooth Consistency: To achieve a smooth and creamy texture, make sure to cook your potatoes and carrots until they are very soft and use a high speed blender like this Vitamix that I love.
- Ways To Use It: Serve it as a dip with tortilla chips, veggies or fries. Drizzle it over steamed broccoli, baked potatoes, nachos or pasta. Can be used in any “cheesy” way you can think of
Keywords: vegan nacho cheese, vegan cheese sauce, nut free, dairy free, gluten free
⬇ PIN it for later! ⬇