This Citrus Blender Margarita is refreshing, delicious and easy to make at home. I love this frozen margarita recipe! It features a combination of orange, lemon and lime and is bursting with fresh citrus flavors. The perfect summer drink and great for Cinco de Mayo or taco night too!
Reasons To Love This Recipe
Delicious frozen citrus margaritas – YES PLEASE! Here’s why you’ll love them…
- Perfect summer drink and great for Cinco de Mayo
- Easy to make at home with a blender
- Made with real, fresh ingredients (features 3 kinds of whole citrus fruits – orange, lemon and lime)
- Refreshing + delicious
- Also makes a great addition to taco night!
You won’t find any neon-colored bottled margarita mix in this drink. No way – none of those additives or highly processed ingredients here! Just a mix of three types of fresh citrus (orange, lemon, lime), a few other ingredients and a blender are needed.
Shall we make a batch…..si!!!
What You’ll Need
To make these fresh citrus margaritas, you will need the following ingredients:
- Orange, Lemon + Lime: Not shocking that a citrus margarita needs a variety of fresh citrus! You will need a whole orange, lemon and lime. This recipe uses the whole fruit (peeled and seeded first).
- Tequila: What would a margarita be without tequila? I used a reposado tequila to make these but any tequila you like will work.
- Grand Marnier: This orange flavored liqueur pairs perfectly with the citrus in this drink.
- Water: If you like a stronger drink, replace this with more tequila.
- Organic Cane Sugar: To add some sweetness. You could also use a different sweetener if you prefer. Adjust the quantity to suit personal tastes.
- Ice Cubes: To blend this into a delicious frozen drink
- Salt (optional): Only needed if you enjoy a salt rimmed glass. Pink Himalayan salt, coarse sea salt or kosher salt all work well.
Detailed ingredient list and directions located in the recipe card below.
- High Speed Blender: You will need a powerful blender in order to achieve the perfect slushy consistency. This is the one that I have and love – Vitamix Professional Series 750
- Fun Glasses: You can use margarita glasses, mason jars or any other fun glasses that you have lurking in your cupboards.
How To Make Frozen Citrus Margaritas
These are super simple to make! You will be relaxing and enjoying one in no time.
- Rim glasses: This is optional but if you like a salt rimmed glass then I would recommend doing this before blending up the drink. Simply run a lime wedge around the rim of the glass and dip in some salt that you have poured on a plate or shallow bowl.
- Blend It Up: Place all the ingredients in the blender and blend it up! I highly recommend using a high speed blender like a Vitamix in order to achieve the perfect slush texture.
- Enjoy: Now comes the best part – pour into glasses, relax and enjoy your margarita! This fresh citrus margarita is super refreshing and not too strong. If you like a stronger drink, just substitute the water in the recipe for extra tequila.
Here are a few tips to help you achieve the perfect frozen citrus margarita.
Remove the pith and seeds from citrus
This recipe uses whole, peeled citrus. The pith (white stuff between the peel and the fruit) and seeds have a bitter taste which we do not want in our margaritas. Let me show you how I peel the citrus to make sure that I remove the pith as well. Super easy!
- Slice off the top and bottom ends of the citrus
- Place fruit with one cut side down on your cutting board. Position your knife at the top of the fruit and cut downwards, following the contour of the fruit to slice away the peel and the pith. Try to cut off as little of the flesh as possible.
- Rotate and continue slicing away the peel and pith around the whole fruit. Repeat the process with remaining citrus.
- Cut into chunks to check for any seeds that need to be removed before adding citrus to the blender.
A powerful blender is key
In order to achieve the perfect “slushy” consistency, you need to use a high powered blender that is strong enough to crush ice. There are lots of options and brands available. I like the Vitamix blenders and this is the specific Vitamix model that I currently use and love (but they are all great!).
Keeping the salt rim on the outside
Some people don’t mind a little salt mixed into their margarita. However, it is easy to keep the salt rim on the outside of the glass if you prefer. After running the lime wedge around the rim of the glass, just tilt the glass and dip just the outside edge of the glass into the salt as you rotate it. This will prevent the salt from falling into the drink.
What To Serve With Margaritas
Also delicious on their own for those times when you just want to pretend that you are off on a tropical vacation somewhere with a frozen cocktail in hand (which let’s face it, is probably always!).
More Refreshing Drinks
Here are a few more refreshing cocktails and mocktails that you might enjoy…
- Strawberry Mojito Mocktail (can also easily be made into a cocktail)
- Strawberry Frosé (the ultimate grown-up slushie!)
- Pomegranate Lime Spritzer (can also be made as a mocktail)
- Strawberry Slushie (healthy slushie with just 4 simple ingredients)
- Refreshing Healthy-ish Summer Cocktails (choose from over 30 options)
- Healthy Summer Mocktails (refreshing and made with healthy ingredients)
If you like the triple citrus combination in these margaritas, then you will also love these Orange Lemon Lime Popsicles!Print
This citrus blender margarita recipe is refreshing, easy to make and bursting with fresh citrus flavor. Perfect to enjoy on taco night, hot summer days or Cinco de Mayo!
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup grand marnier
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar (or to taste)
- 4 cups ice cubes
- Optional: lime wedge and salt (himalayan salt, coarse sea salt or kosher salt) for rimming glasses
- Rim glasses with salt (optional): Pour some salt onto a plate or in a shallow bowl. Run a lime wedge along the rim of your glass and dip the rim into the salt. Repeat with remaining glasses and set aside.
- Peel citrus: Use a knife to slice off the peel and pith from the orange, lemon and lime, leaving just the flesh (see notes). Cut into chunks and inspect for seeds, removing any that are found.
- Blend: Place all the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend on high until combined (slushy texture). Taste test and adjust sweetener, tequila or ice if desired.
- Serve: Pour into your glasses and enjoy!
- How to peel and de-pith citrus: See the Helpful Tips section of the post (includes step-by-step explanation and pictures).
- If you like a stronger drink, substitute the water for extra tequila.
Keywords: citrus margarita, blender margarita recipe, frozen margarita, Vitamix margarita, Cinco de Mayo drink
⬇ PIN it for later! ⬇
Originally published May 2019. Updated to include new photos and information.